Sunday, January 08, 2006

Oceanic odonto-overplay...

With the news that an Australian lass has died after a shark attack can we expect the usual hysteria?
This attack was fairly close in shore and in unclear water; given that the most common type of attack is called a "hit and run" i.e. the shark bites and then quickly releases the person and disappears; given also that said attacks are probably most often cases of mistaken identity as they usually happen near the surface and in poor visibility (breaking surf, heavy currents, murky water…), also including the 'fact' that humans are usually considered too bony to be a good meal for a shark, plus she had 3 very bad injuries (one bite each?) but was alive when she was pulled free, I'm reading this as a case of mistaken identity.


Bull sharks, the ones thought to be responsible in this incident, may possibly be the most frequent attackers of humans (or not…see below), as the wounds they inflict are often attributed to great whites. They are less selective feeders than great whites and occur closer inshore and in freshwater.

…a few facts may clear the water (and hence make attack less likely!)

According to the
International Shark Attack File, between 1580 and 2004 there were 1,969 confirmed shark attacks around the world...I guess we can assume that this figure could be tripled/ quadrupled/ whatever to get a real figure including those incidents not reported, not known, remote island attacks no one knows of etc but still, we're still talking about practically nothing in a global context.

Seven fatalities occurred in 2004, a total similar to the four in 2003, three in 2002 and four in 2001, but lower than the 11 fatalities recorded in 2000. The number of serious attacks in 2000-2004, as measured by fatality rate (8.9%), has been lower than that of the decade of the 1990's (12.7%), continuing a century-long trend reflective of advances in beach safety practices and medical treatment, and increased public awareness of avoiding potentially dangerous situations.

Sharks have evolved over 450 million years to be among the ocean's top predators. They can take many years to reach sexual maturity, almost 30 years in the case of the sand bank shark. Larger sharks may only produce two young in a breeding cycle and only one of those is likely to survive. Shark species often only breed every other year and some have a long gestation period (up to two years). This low reproductive rate means that depleted shark populations can take a very long time to recover, if they recover at all.

Conservationists estimate that about 100 million sharks are caught each year, many of them purely for use in shark fin soup. Hong Kong alone imported the fins of more than 28 million sharks in 1999. The sharks are caught, their fins are cut off and they are then thrown back into the sea where they either bleed to death or drown.
This really pees me off...I've seen it happen and it is sickening and it's only one of the things that would induce me to happily kill a fellow human; I know that sounds completely LOONY...but, well maybe I am!

Moving on quickly (gulps), as I hinted above there are more than one type of shark that is believed to be the worst 'maneater'; despite it being an aggressive fish which dominates feeding frenzies, and is said to attack more humans than all other shark species combined, a favorite of mine is the Oceanic WhiteTip, mainly because of its ferocious beauty (see image copyright/copyleft Wikipedia) but I guess I SHOULD also have a soft spot for Orectolobus ornatus more commonly known as Ornate wobbegong…wobbegong! Well that does seem appropriate, lots of O's but he does look a right wimp, not like the lovely white tip, below above.

To be honest most potential shark fatalities are easily avoided with a good punch on the snout …that's not the only reported incidence but it's the most recent I could find; of course if it was me it would be the smell of me shitting myself that put the shark off!


The main point of this post is that I used to be obssessed with sharks, before another, more dangerous maneater attracted my attention (I know I do NOT need to elaborate!), having the 70’s as my impressionable years made the film Jaws a big memory…and it really did stop people going in the water! …and by sheer coincidence I may have starred in Jaws 2 as a boy sailor…don’t believe me? ;-)


S.O.

23 comments:

Temporary Peace said...

well
Thanks for the comment!!!
You are english?
nice...very nice

how old are you?
what's your name??
You are a person very..interesting, I think

Why do you live in Spain?

Well, You most understand, my english is really basic, but I think "If he writes me in spanish, I most comment in english, a little of politeness"

I hope you can read my post, oh my god!!!It's so difficult =P

I hope your answer,
a kiss

Daniela
Santiago,Chile

Span Ows said...

Hi Daniela, actually your English is very good - better than some English people!!!!...;-)

To answer some of your many questions:

I live in Spain because I was offered a good job that requires me to be based here....but I agree that I am interesting and I am nice!

...my real name is sort of secret although some of the commentators here know my first name, one or two may know my second name...after my shark post anyone could use a bit of logic and google to find out my real name...and finally, my age may surprise you...oh dear...everyone else is reading this...it's in my profile!

Verso said...

Hola, no hablo ni escribo inglés :-( . Gracias por la visita. Un saludo.

Kayfer Kettle said...

hello Span, and Hola to Daniela.

It is great when people are happy to share their information and their efforts to communicate it to each other.

Span Ows is a smart, and good person Daniela, and he would be happy to help you practice your very accomplished English I'm sure, but he is an old fart, so don't expect him to know the latest thing in teen tunes!!!

Kate xx

Span Ows said...

Hi Katey, well I could always ask my boys...but they're all into 60's, 70's and 80's retro stuff!

Thank you for the pleasant words of description...:-)

Span Ows said...

Hola uncondicional...gracias, pues no te preocupe porque hay muchos ingleses que tampoco habla bien el ingles!

Para que sepa la musica de Alberto Cortez en su 'post' de La Rosa no sonaba pero los otros sí, no sé que pasó porque tengo el QuickTime de Apple.

Saludos

Anonymous said...

sharks , pretty scary. A few years ago I was over on the Gulf coast in America on holiday just after a little boy was attacked and had his arm torn off. Wouldn't let my kids go in any more than a paddle ..me too .. used the swimming pool instead.

As to maneater ...in the words of Hall and Oates ...watch out boy she'll chew you up..Oh here she comes ...she's a maneater ...

Linda Mason said...

Crikey Span....how come you attract all these women to your blog? I know why I come here. Although politically we are poles and further apart, plus you are a pervy old man with a wide girth, when we argued it was always with a sense of proportion and humour. I just don't understand why all these women that haven't met you before, come here and leave lovely messages.

I think we need a piccy Span so we can see the truth!!!

Sharks are scary but beautiful animals but Jaws never did it for me because it looked so rubbery!

Anonymous said...

Holas, paso a dejarte el enlace a la canción, copia y pega en la barra de tu navegador, debe sonar, ya me dices :-)

http://www.tempoesia1.hpgvip.ig.com.br/midi/Latina/Alberto_Cortez/Te_llegara_una_Rosa_cada_dia.mid

Span Ows said...

inconditcional...muchas gracias para el vinculo - luego lo escucharé y como dices te diré.

Span Ows said...

Hi missbonnielass: I was in Canada at the time and that Maneater H&O track was a huge hit (and a personal fav) went to see them live in Toronto. 1982 I thnk, Gloria by Laura Brannigan was another HUUUUUUGE hit at the time....in fact now you mention it I can't stop humming/singing it!!!

Most (reported) shark attacks are in shallow water, sometines only a few feet deep...just so you know!

MAGS!! Helloooo...I know what you mean;it's becuase I'm very interesting and also interested in what others are doing on their blogs etc...it's a whole new world out there!

Re picture...I'll post one soon....just need to find the right one...discarded 10,000 possibles so far (hehehe) but they all make me look fat...;-)

Linda Mason said...

Span, far be it from me to point out the obvious, but if 10,000 photo's make you look fat, maybe it's because you drink too much sangria and eat too much paella and therefore carry the odd extra ounce!?! Wouldn't worry about it. I didn't get my 40DD's from being slimmer of the year!

Temporary Peace said...

thanks for your answer span
and..well
I'm not in class
It's summer....and..
a good vacations!!

I saw your profile, ok
I can say
" I know span a little more"

heheheheh

I hope you can read this...I try write the better possible that I can....^^

You have e-mail? or..messenger?
It's will great speak with you by that chat

A kiss
Mister
Interesting

=P

Daniela..

Gavin Corder said...

Sharks scare the bejesus out of me too - I put it down to sending several years in Australia as a child where kids are taught to take them very seriously indeed. That and reading Jaws at an impressionable age (quite smutty it was too as I recall...)

But you can't help admiring a killing machine that evolved so perfectly so long ago that it hasn't changed in essence since prehistory...

Span Ows said...

Thanks Gavin,you get the gist of what I was saying about sharks admiration and respect but at a distance!...could apply to women too!...;-)

Mags...photo will be up soon...HONEST!

Daniela, gracias nuevamente por visitar owsblog.

Linda Mason said...

Span, I do hope Daniela is of age dear because it looks like you've (in the crudest possible terms in order that you understand) scored.

WTG Daniela!

Span Ows said...

Mags...PLeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Ooooer!!!!...:-)

Gavin Corder said...

He's a saucy old lard bucket Mags so I guess it works for the girlies...

Therefore anymore pervy remarks about the Evil Daughter and I'm on the nmext plane to Barcelona chum!!!!!!!!!

Linda Mason said...

LOL! You pair are like Laurel and Hardy or maybe The Krankies....

Span, I am your conscience. I am here to protect you and show you the true way. With a guardian angel like me the devil don't stand a chance!

Gavin, I have a feeling that your daughter could handle Span without any need for your intervention. Most young women can handle dirty old pervs without a bother. I know I always could!

Span Ows said...

What is this! Get off my blog now!...;-)

Gavin....phoarr!...but Mag's is right!...youngsters have the right attitude and turn of phrase to send any 'real' danger running for cover! That's about the only good thing about their (yuff's) lack of respect!

and....saucy old lard bucket..hmmm...why do I like that!

Gavin Corder said...

Span, the saucy old lard bucket is you - not a love toy, you lemon!

You're right Mags it's not portly pervy old ex-pats I worry about. It's more your 20 year old chav with the "phatty wheels"...

But he'll be insufferable if he's allowed the slightest leeway in the perving department!

Span Ows said...

You're the lemon! I know it's me...and I kinda like it!!!!

Span Ows said...

...:-)