Thursday, August 17, 2006

Odds-on offspring...

Footy footy footyI know England won last night (4 - 0 Against European Champions Greece...God that sounds good!)...but it just pissed me off. The good bit of news was that the family of goalkeeper Chris Kirkland (England debut yesterday) have won close to £10,000 on a bet after he took the field for England in the friendly match against Greece. Eddie Kirkland put on a bet 12 years ago that his son would win an England cap before turning 30. It was reported 3 years ago and the follow-up, again from the BBC, today. Well done Eddie! Good on you for your confidence and the spur that must have given your son.


Bookmakers William Hill said Eddie Kirkland had staked £98.10 with the firm at 100/1, and would receive a cheque for £9,908.10

However, that was the good bit; [RANT warning]...the bad bit is the result: on 17 August in 2005 (last year) the England team suffered their worst football defeat in 25 years, a 4-1 thumping against a Denmark side that hadn't qualified for the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany...on there was a World Cup?... Twelve months later - and with pretty much the same team - "England hammered reigning European Champions Greece 4-0 at Old Trafford in new head coach Steve McClaren's first match in charge."...lets look at the team: Robinson (Kirkland 45), Gary Neville (Carragher 78), Ferdinand, Terry, Cole (Bridge 80), Gerrard (Bent 78), Lampard, Hargreaves, Downing (Lennon 69), Defoe (Richardson 69), Crouch....yep, that's pretty much the same team

And the goals: Terry 14, Lampard 30, Crouch 35, 42....sorry? Terry, Lampard and Crouch...weren't they in the England team (and the rest were too) that were sooooo disappointing in the World Cup, in fact sooooooo crap that they couldn't score a goal between them even when it was a fucking penalty?

That made me really angry, but this topped it:

Eriksson, who is still being paid his wages by the Football Association, become a lame duck in Germany...

Still being paid?!! I give up.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

648134-97924
Is the code,
You know you want too...

Span Ows said...

I'm on my way...but I have had a few drinks.. :-)

Linda Mason said...

Span, when haven't you had a few drinks?

At least you probably watched last nights match. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. For the last 12 months or so I haven't really been able to summon up any rreal passion for our football team. I didn't care when we went out of the World Cup because basically I don't think the manager, his 'team' or the players cared either and this I believe is why I feel no passion. So last night I didn't watch the game and even when I was told the result, I shrugged and thought "so what".

I have never felt like this before. All my life I have loved football. I have even been physically sick during certain matches such were my nerves and my passion....and nothing to do with booze. Now I don't think I will ever rekindle those feelings.

Span Ows said...

Mags I know you're not alone but I always get drawn into the 'this year we can really do it' trance - yes I'm a mug....I hear you're selling the Eiffel Tower, how much?

2 years and it's the Euro's again...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...btw Sven won 3-0 in his first game in charge.

Also, I apologise to Crouch (but with no real conviction), he did manage to score one ...in the 90th minute against Trinidad and Tobago...and the wierd coincidence is that yesterday I had a visit to the blog from Trinidad and Tobago (see flags)
:-)