Wednesday, November 29, 2006

OO's Omega...

OO…Omega

I went to see the new Bond film yesterday. I must say I enjoyed it but got the feeling that many wouldn’t – it has none of the ‘saving the world’ and armies of overall-wearing cannon fodder of others films. Anyone else seen it? Wonderful product placement, “Rolex?” asks Vesper Lynd, (Eva Green, photo and link below) “No, Omega” says Daniel Craig as Bond (hence the title of the post, referring to Omega watches). Sony (Vaio laptops) also clearly ‘paid their graft’.

Eva Green…actrice

In the earlier James Bond films, before Piers Brosnan, (i.e. Sean Connery et al.) “Bond is often seen wearing a Rolex Submariner. In the Ian Fleming novels, Bond is referred to a few times as wearing a Rolex watch. It is briefly described as a "Rolex Oyster Perpetual on an expanding metal bracelet" and as having "big phosphorus numerals."

Here’s an explanation for why they made the change to an Omega. Another highlight of course was the gloriously sultry and sexy 'baddy's girl' Solange (my ex's middle name) played by Italian beauty Caterina Murino…hmmmmm

9 comments:

Gavin Corder said...

I've got a little thingy...


Not THAT kind of thingy! Just go see and tell me what you think!

Span Ows said...

You never actually read my posts, do you Gavin?

Also, I'm hurt that you've said nothing of my lovely clear and clean, reborn phoenix of owsblog.

Mister Frost said...

It's all about money sadly Span. They remade Thunderbirds a couple of years ago and Lady Penelope's pink Rolls became a Ford. Sacrilege.

I have several Rolex watches courtesy of the markets of the far east. If you sepnd £15 instead of £10 you can get one with a second hand that sweeps rather than ticks in a very realistic manner. Thing is when I wear them out they DO get noticed especially by carriers of the XX chromosome. There are a few women out there who still go for the moneied men. Trick is getting their knickers off before the bank statement is discovered... All together now... "Those ... were... the ... DAYS... my... friend..." Ahem.

Usually though I wear one of six different coloured Russian military Raketa 24 hour dial watches I got cheap off a guy in Kiev. The 24 hour dial is very cool and people look a bit confused when at 9 a.m. it looks like 5. Takes a bit of getting used to though. When I first got one I got asked the time and had to get my mobile out to double check. I got a very odd look.

Gavin Corder said...

Of course I don't actually READ any of your posts! What do you expect?

It's looking a lot less cluttered. You might want to adjust the point size on the text in the posts "'Orthodox' options..." "One's opprobrium offers opportunity…" etc becuase they've lost the consistent formatting. Or you might not...

Much better though.

And glad you're back!

Gavin Corder said...

Any chance of you plugging my MB with a link, old bean?

Lucy said...

The thing that struck me most in the film was how pretty the leading lady was in the bathroom before she had put on her makeup - so much better than when she has it on.
Overall a good film much more female friendly than the traditional Bond.

Re the new blog, I still slightly prefer ows2 but as you have moved on from there I might use it myself :)

Span Ows said...

I agree Lucy (re Eva Green, very natural beauty)

re ows2...hehehe...go ahead, you don't seem to post on your own so you're welcome to use it! (taps foot and pouts to express disapproval)

The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm still reading ;-) and will post if I can think of anything to say...but often you put things so well and in so much detail, I may have to wait until I find something to disagree on ;-)

Span Ows said...

Thanks Gildy...you mean I don't let you get a word in edge ways?...:-)

I'll have to think of something shocking to post about so as to extract some replies...;-)