Friday, June 22, 2007

Ouvres...

You may think I'm becoming art-obsessed as only last month I posted re Cezanne; but now, is this Midsummer Monet Masterpiece Madness? IMHO no, not madness at all: this is what I call art.

Monet’s Nympheas

This is the 1904 painting part of 'the classic' Water Lily series, "It is unsurprising that this piece by Monet sold at such a high price. It is an exceptional example of his water lily series which is one of the most iconic images of impressionism."


Monet Waterloo Bridge Cloudy Day

Another Monet sold in the last couple of days: Waterloo Bridge, Temps Couvert [Cloudy Day] is "one of a series of views of the bridge and river that Monet painted from his room at the Savoy Hotel around the start of the 20th Century." These two are now the 2nd and 3rd highest prices paid for a Monet. As usual pictures link to news articles.

Back to Madness...well, THIS I wouldn't pay anything for (Sorry Lucien, I just don't like it)

...thanks Gavin! :-)

3 comments:

Linda Mason said...

I adore Monet, always have, even before he became fashionable once again and even though he isn't really fashionable anymore, despite this weeks sales.

My favourites are all placed in his garden at Giverney and one day I will get there!

Gavin Corder said...

Not wishing to nit pick, but I'm going to anyway, I think you'll find it's Lucien not Julian Freud...

I love Monet too - it's just tough titty that his work has been so popular that it's almost hackneyed!

Span Ows said...

Monet lovers all :-)

Mags I'm sure that would be wonderful and Gavin you're quite right but being a popular card/chocolate box lid design helps make the admiration more universal!

P.S. Blimey, you're quite right! Julian now (in a mo) duly changed! At such times no need to worry about nit-picking!