Sunday, July 29, 2007

Offering opportunity...

Iraq's unexpected progress in the Asian Cup, overcoming first Australia and then South Korea (favorites and on-form previous winners respectively) to reach the final was capped this afternoon by their win over the tournament's highest scorers Saudi Arabia in the final (1 - 0) [Al Jazeera link]
"Al Jazeera's Hoda Abdel-Hamid was in the northern Iraqi Kurdish region in Irbil, said: "The scenes are incredible. I have been in Iraq for more than 11 years, and I have never seen anything like this."
Profoundly cheering news. Correspondents have been reporting all week that Iraq's progress has united the various ethnic groups in Iraq because the team includes Sunni and Shia Muslims and Kurds. Lets hope that the genuine and spontaneous euphoria that ensued has penetrated the brainwashed minds of at least some of the extremist suicide bombers to make them at least question their intended murderous cowardice. Lucy Williamson of the BBC reports that "The team said they wanted to give Iraq something to celebrate as a nation - they have done it and many others in Indonesia are celebrating with them..."
"What is true of the individual will be to-morrow true of the whole nation if individuals will but refuse to lose heart and hope." Mohandas Gandhi

3 comments:

Gavin Corder said...

What happened to your lovely moon diary - that was the only useful plug-in you had!

I despair!

Anyway where was I oh yes I wasn't really following it so if (and I know the fear has been that the happy crowds my be a target for "insurgents")IF nothing awful has happened then it is wonderful.

Truly I imagine it is the god of the many that is smiley to bind them together as a nation!

Well done Iraq! (Mesopotamian Lions) and may your gods go with you!

Gavin Corder said...

Well AUGUSTUS has still got the moon diary even though he's posting on the sly!

Full moon tonight!

Span Ows said...

Blimey, you're up later than I was! I popped off to bed at about 02:15 (my time) I need to sort out the counter, after getting to 102 countries it's stopped! I don't mean no more countries I mean it doesn't count any visits at all (mine aren't included anyway)

All the stuff I had I still have saved with the copy of my old Owsblog template (old old as in before the Blogger Beta buggering-up.

Yes Mesopotamian Lions sounds good doen't it.

P.S. I discovered an intersting coincidence in Augustus' last post.