Saturday, October 06, 2007

Only one...

Update Oct 6th, 11pm BST + 1 more or less: Les Bleus l'ont fait, incroyable exploit du XV de France!...Gratuitous swearing breaks out on Owsblog: for FUCK'S SAKE, could a day of rugby go more unexpectedly than this? Unbelievable...more so than earlier: I actually believed, in my heart of hearts, that England would do it; what I didn't believe was that the best prepared and most awesome NZ side would fold against 'the other' French team, the one that can appear unexpectedly at any time: did the black and grey's lose it or did the navy blue's win it? It is absolutely incomprehensible to me that this AB side have performed worse than any other in a World Cup:
New Zealand's failure to reach the semi-final for the first time means this is the least successful World Cup campaign in their history.
Neither the All Black's or Les Bleu showed up today; fickle fate did...all bets are off!!
RESULT: France 20 : 18 New Zealand
P.S. There are some great comments on that AB Telegraph link, naturally almost all got it wrong: especially about half-way down: Nick Gough (oh so right!) and Alan Peck (oh so wrong!...hahaha)...thing is, after England, I wanted the All Black's to win the World Cup! (OK, OK...that is unless Argentina can go all the way...except against England!)
P.P.S. What a fantastic picture: Chabal obviously hyped and well unimpressed with the haka.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update Oct 6th, Full Time...I'm breathing again but only just: YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! A couple of heart-stopping moments but it's all over: a great and strong forward display with JW kicking us through despite a couple of misses; a great team performance overall.

RESULT: England 12 : 10 Australia

Bring on the All Blacks...if they can handle France this time round.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
England's Jonny WilkinsonHalf Time and I can hardly breath...it took over half an hour for the Wallabies golden and impressive three-quarter line to score a try...

Anyway...the post title...our own golden boy...Only one...Jonny Wilkinson, there's only one Jonny Wilkinson: he's just reached the all-time RWC record points scored beating Gavin Hasting's 227 points (I seem to remember Gavin got 5 tries against Cote D'Ivoire once or something similar...but they all count!)

Also, obviously, he is by far and away the highest scoring England player but what surprised me was his total points is about 100 points more than DOUBLE the second highest (Paul Grayson on 400)

All we need now is a few more games to pip Welsh Wizard Neil Jenkin's all time rugby test points record; this includes Lion's tests for both Jenkins and Wilko but even without those they are number 1 and 2.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

12 comments:

Paul said...

I know how you feel Span, mind you the last time England got through to a WC SF I really couldn't breath!

What a strange game, totally absorbing. We just stood our ground all the way through. I actually thought the referee was going to award England a penalty try in the second half when Australia collapsed the scrum again but you could hear on ther ref's mic that he warned them that they were running out of chances.

Phew!

Span Ows said...

Hi Paul...just commented on your post too...FUCKING EXCELLENT!
...and I haven't had a single beer yet, mind you I've downed about 6 pints of coffee! I'll do the beer drinking later with the NZ vs FR game...after all it's still before midday here :-)

Thought Sackey was good again, and Tait...we're gaining confidence it seems...

Linda Mason said...

I didn't see the game, prior appointment with child orientated activities but I did get regular updates via Mr Mags and the mobile phone. It's a wonderful result but I am rather glad I wasn't watching live. I could not have stood the stress!

Span are you over in the US at present? Ohio? If so you are near a stronghold of my family, well distant, but same genes!

Anonymous said...

Paris........allez.....?? ;)

Good win by your side tonight ......... I need to sleep and will my team on tomorrow ...yeah, I know Argentina falls into your side toooooooooooooooo..........

Anonymous said...

sorry not tonight ...today ...you know what I meant.....

Span Ows said...

..missbonnie lass, you have posted while I'm updating with what I consider to be the FAAAARRRR bigger upset than the England win...stunning indeed: at this rate Scotland will sail through!
;-)

Mags...Wisconsin, but I've just left a bar where many are off to the Green Bay Packers (Wisconsin) vs Chicago Bears (Illinois) game tomorrow... Ohio's furtehr East but not so far as a run-in with the US Magsters isn't an impossibility!
:-)

The US Owsters are more Kentucky way...horse breeding and all that ;-)

Linda Mason said...

That's OK Span, We got 'em allover the place. Illinois is a big magster family place but the far west such as Oregon is bigger.

Now, will we beat the French? Can I dare hope?

Span Ows said...

Hi Mags! Well, as I say "all bets are off"...England vs, France semi is so unexpected...trouble is now I expect a repeat of the 2003 semi; we will b too strong for the French who have just 'won their final'...HOWEVER...now they're at home and everything is different...oh piss...PLEEEEEASE...COME ON ENGLAND!...my heart can't stand much more! Allez les rosbifs!

Paul said...

It's all too much, I can't comprehend England playing South Africa in a final, England v Scotland? How bizarre would that be?

Linda Mason said...

My hunch is a France Argentina final with Argentina proving that lightening does indeed strike twice. It would ease any pain on losing to the French.

Span Ows said...

What pain...we ahven't lost to the French! PAH!!...well, we'll soon lance that hunch you've got!...scalpel!

My heart tells me we can do it: our forwards are easily a match for the French and I believe we will rattle them, the 'home crowd' will be the worst factor because most of the Aussies and Kiwis who would have bought tickets in advance will probably have sold them or if they're true rugby fans would keep them but probably support thr French.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the AB's - such a strange game: at 10 - 0 (just after the try and a few minutes after the 'in-touch' almost try I thought they were about to let rip....so wierd)...I've decided they must have been bribed (a LOT of money) by the French. ;-)

Gavin Corder said...

Did I send you the text. I can never rember who I send them to....

Just scrolling through phone. No! I didn't! That's not like me!

So yer tis.

New: Durex are shutting there Bribane factory.

It seems it only takes one Jonny to fuck Australia.