Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Old Osram opinion...
Osram at all (in fact I had a very close family connection with the brand); just handy that it's the lightbulb manufacturer whose image is on this BBC Magazine article: "The 60W bulb: A luminary love affair". "The once ubiquitous 60W light bulb is about to plop off the production line for the last time across Europe." And it won't just be going the way of candles, oh no, as of tomorrow, September 1st, an EU-wide BAN on "the manufacturing and importing of 60W incandescent clear light bulbs comes into force". Exactly 2 years ago, the EU had already admitted that 'Energy saving' light bulbs are "not as bright as their traditional counterparts and claims about the amount of light they produce are 'exaggerated'" (!!!) but I'd like to give you a personal example of the apparent benefits (Source: Energy Saving Trust...no, really!) I have one 60W bulb which has lasted 4 years (and counting) in my modern apartment: I have replaced 20 cunting energy saving ugly shite bulbs - at least two more than twice. My comments in (bold):
1. Can run for up to 10,000 hours (but never do, not even close)
2. Use up to 80% less electricity than a standard bulb (straw man/see no.4)
3. Fitting just one bulb can save you on average £2.50 a year (so at least 2 years to recoup the exorbitant cost and you need to change them before that anyway)
4. More expensive but difference will be recouped on electricity bill in about a year (the more expensive is damn right, the rest is a fucking lie)
5. Invention of "soft tone" bulbs has given them a warmer glow (and?)
6. Dimmable bulbs are now available (what the fuck for? they're dim enough already)
P.S. Gildy has posted on this topic twice before (you'll note my wrath in the comments).
Posted by Span Ows at 8:41 pm