Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ooh obbligato...


Ooh, Heaven knows. RIP Donna Summer, Queen of Discos. "I Feel Love" wasn't the first song of hers I loved but it was the one that had most impact: it is taken from her 1977 concept album I Remember Yesterday and it was the "future" segment of the album.

According to David Bowie "its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on: 'One day in Berlin ...Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' ... he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer ... He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right." [Wiki]

2 comments:

Paul said...

The sound of I Feel Love doesn't sound dated to me but I think that's as much to do with my like of electronic music as anything else. The album I Remember Yesterday certainly had an influence on a lot of groups.

Span Ows said...

Yep, I agree. I listened to it a few times over the last couple of weeks and it still sounds good.