Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Oggi, oggi, oggi...


Happy St. George's Day...and isn't it a fine one! A day when, for centuries, the English celebrated as 'a major feast and national holiday...on a par with Christmas'.  With the forming of the Union this began to fade; celebrations were non existent or subdued but recently - with state recognition and self-determination being the flavour of the moment - are more numerous and growing.  Today is also a good day to live and die; no, I'm not getting all Dharmic or Druid, it's just 23rd April has become a symbolic date for world literature with so many authors, writers, poets etc dying or born on this day (or both in the Bard's case); certainly a touch of Osiris or an Ouroboros about it. Be good; dragon beware...

2 comments:

Paul said...

There's no way a catfish is getting hold of my phallus! Didn't see a single St Georges flag, apart from the one I have hanging in my office, but dozens of Union flags - strange.

Span Ows said...

Me neither, I was very surprised, no much on blogs or in the media (far less than other years) no flag on the local church which surprised me even more as last year I am sure they did!