Monday, April 08, 2013

R.I.P. Baroness Thatcher...



Margaret Thatcher (1925-2013). Here are 'some memorable moments and sayings from a remarkable life'; certainly one that shaped young Ows' life and future and I have tears in my eyes as I write this: funnily enough one of the moments I remember most clearly was listening to the BBC World Service telling us in late November 1990 how she had decided to withdraw her candidacy from the 2nd Conservative leadership ballot; she had easily won the 1st ballot but failed to gain the necessary 'new contest rules' 15% winning-margin by 1% (one percent: 4 votes; there were 16 abstentions...). I will probably refrain from forum's for a bit...probably. Please visit the The Margaret Thatcher Foundation." By complete coincidence I find myself next to Grantham... 

2 comments:

Paul said...

I was on a training day in Southampton on that day back in November 1990 and I remember during the coffee and lunch breaks people talking about nothing else. On the way back to the office my then boss insisted we had the radio on so we could hear 'any news' but I seem to remember there wasn't any.

Have to say well done BBC Radio 4 yesterday lunchtime for giving Charles Moore the best part of twenty minutes to express his thoughts.

Watching the news at 6pm last night all the news stations apart from Chinese TV that I can receive began with this as the main story.

Span Ows said...

Yes, good coverage by all, what I have heard is 95 percent positive which is about right :-)