Sunday, January 15, 2006

Orwell's Omen...

'Who controls the past controls the future:
who controls the present controls the past.'

George Orwell‘1984’ (1949). You can read the whole of this wonderful novel online: here’s part I

I was directed to this report in today’s Independent by a thread on a BBC message board and it didn’t get the debate that I think it deserves. The poster commented that "we have sleepwalked into Orwell's nightmare vision". Taken from the Independent’s article, "Only Mr Blair's sternest critics would suggest that he is motivated by anything other than a desire to give to the security services everything they say they need to tackle terrorism." Also:

- A fifth of the world's CCTV cameras are in the UK, and the average person is caught on film 300 times a day. Britain's four million cameras cover almost every town centre, and the numbers are growing.

- More than 5 per cent of the UK population - about three million people - are registered on one of the world's largest DNA data-bases.

- ID cards are scheduled to come into use in 2008, subject to parliamentary approval. More than 50 pieces of information relating to the holder, including biometric information (iris patterns, fingerprints), will be on the cards.

There’s more: ‘Spies’ in the Sky, Body Scanners, Child tagging and Traffic tagging, all in the article but that 1st point flabbergasted me: 20% of the world’s CCTV cameras, now there are other types of ‘spying’ used so we’re not talking about 20% of ALL surveillance cameras in the world but...what do you think?

My own fear, as highlighted by Labour MP Andrew Mackinlay, is who is to watch the watchers? ‘Governments can never be trusted on their own not to confuse national interest with what is in their political interest…’

P.S. Interestingly Gavin Corder (a football hooligan) brought the 'New labour/ 1984' connection to our attention back in December 2005.

20 comments:

Gavin Corder said...

Never forget your trusty mobile phone is your own little homing beacon. I have a (very paranoid) mate who periodically sends his phone on journeys without him...

Perhaps he's got the right idea...or you could put his paranoia down to industrial quanties of Billy Whizz...

Span Ows said...

You're right Gav...I knew long ago that all calls were tracable but until recently I was unaware that your mobile phone, EVEN WITH NO CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED, is tracable...

You 'know' me, I'm in the "If you've done no wrong you've nothing to fear" brigade...but hang on...this IS getting a little beyond the pale....

Mister Frost said...

I agree. This is a step too far Span. I asked the question on the messageboards that surely all MPs undergo a cursory check from the get go? That said my new MP hasn't opened his mouth since the election so quite what they'll find listening in to him I don't know. Wanking noises presumably. Galloway's MI5 file must be visible from space.

Lucy said...

< a mate periodically sends his phone on journeys without him...>
How does that change anything , other than to put him at the scene of the crime?

Anonymous said...

are we living in a Orwellian society ...mmmmm sometimes I think it's heading that way. Another reason why freedom of speech and democracy are so important.
I did read in one of the newspapers that they already can tap our calls so why should MP's be any different....not that I'm totally convinced it's right....need to mull it over.


sci-fi becoming sci-fact .... when you look at some of the movies ....
Bladerunner...human cloning out of control.
Equilibrium... all emotions disallowed
Logan's run .... answer to over population..although not so attractive to those of my age.
Minority Report... thought crime....arrested before you carry it out.
1984 .... well !!

Temporary Peace said...

doma es doma
y yo soy yo
por qué la duda?

Linda Mason said...

One of the many reasons that I am opposed to ID cards is because of the link with the new registration system that is going to be introduced for births etc. The aim is to create a 'life' computer record online for every person. Link this in with ID information and the lack of security that is well reported upon for just about every government computer system and you have big problems. You also get big problems with little oiks from various different government departments and other organistation such as banks, who the government decide need access to this life record, accessing the records for BB reasons.

Span I understand your 'if you've got nothing to hide' attitude but things are never as clear as they seem and this is just the thin end of the wedge. BB has been making slow but sure progress over the years. You never know what you had until it has gone and a gentle erosion of freedoms is so very difficult to spot and stop and to argue against.

Kayfer Kettle said...

i have never read 1984 Span, though it has long been on my reading list.

I did read orwells Down and Out in Paris and London though, and feel I've at least made a start on all the things of his I would like to read.

I seem to be saving 1984, as somehow I know it'll be like 'the best til last'.


K x

Span Ows said...

Kayfer - read it and you will be surprised re the amount of things you can recognize about the current situation in the UK...especially as the book was written 56/7 years ago!

Mags - I had that "if you've done nothing wrong" attitude but not anymore. If you read the thread BB started by Andy Parker with the Indy link you'll see that I think there is definitely a point which, when crossed nullifies any benefits from the need for security and intelligence because of personal liberties and freedoms that have been lost.

Daniela - disculpame, es que en el comentario de Doma había escrito tu nombre...estoy bobo...:-)

Span Ows said...

missbonnielass, sorry I didn't see your comment, I agree it does seem like we're heading that way.of course as someone said here (or was it on the thread) you can't undo the technology but we certainly need to control it...you can see us marching happily along creating AI and then...well, there's plenty of films where the machines decide they can do better!

Gavin Corder said...

Lucy it puts him somewhere he isn't...make of that what you will. I couldn't possibly comment on what he's up to in the place he really is, when he is to all intents and purposes somewhere else...

K: It's all coming true!

Mags totally agree. Fortunately the (unelected) Lords have put the mockers on ID cards for th time being.

Gavin Corder said...

Alright Span, you blog tart! I've linked my Orwell piece back to this one!

Gavin Corder said...

You might wish to reciprocate...(yes, I am a link trollop too!)

Span Ows said...

Sorted o trollopy one, and thanks...:-)

Linda Mason said...

I've come for a rant with a dinosaur. Where is he then? Show me! C'mon!

Gavin Corder said...

Sounds like you're the hooligan Mags! Go for it girl!

Cheers for the link, my ample friend!

Span Ows said...

(bashful [really embarrassed] grin smiley)

Linda Mason said...

Hooligan? Moi? Nah! I'm a respectable woman, a fine upstanding member of the community. I am here for a purpose, that being to allow old dinosaurs to rant to their hearts content without fear of consequences. I am a saint.

Gavin Corder said...

You've come to the right place then Mags! ;-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.