Saturday, June 03, 2006

Our Ocean obligation...

June 8th is World Oceans Day; The Ocean Conservancy "encourages everyone to explore, enjoy and protect our oceans"...a noble cause!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
If you are lucky enough to be an orarian (coastal dweller) I hope you appreciate your circumstances; if you are lucky or rich enough to ever get into outer-space and you look down at The Earth, most of what you see will be the blue of water: over 70% of the planet's surface is covered by ocean and it is because of this that the Earth is sometimes called "the water planet" - less than three-tenths (maths was always a strong point) of our globe is covered with land.

To me, the ocean (any of them...or the sea!) has always been awe-inspring; just thinking about it evokes images of infinite beauty, a hidden strength both majestic, fierce and at times cruel; this fascination came about, I think, due to annual holidays on the Scilly Isles - the islands, or more accurately, The Bishop Rock Lighthouse, (first photo in the link, coincidentally taken on my birthday - click the arrow for a slideshow of the Scillies - btw they're not my pictures, thank you Lavaurs.com) is the last bit of land (or solid rock!) before reaching the American shore. The vast oceans have influenced mankind for time immemorial... no, even before that!... but imagine being among the first explorers who ventured out into the endless expanse of what must have been the 'dark' unknown. Apart from the majesty and mystery the ocean causes physical changes in our lives: it exchanges vast amounts of gases and aerosol particles with the atmosphere as well as heat and energy; because of these air-sea interactions a profound influence is exerted on the Earth's weather and climate patterns.

Did you know that more than 90% of the planet's living biomass is found in the ocean, or that the water, which the oceans contain, is 97% of the total water on earth...so, erm... that makes just 3% landlocked or river-bourne freshwater; these are amazing statistics. The World Ocean Network members have acknowledged as much by classing a new global 'country': the World Ocean; as I mentioned above every human being should be concerned by the Ocean and the W.O.N., as well as many other organisations worldwide, are consolidating commitment to the welfare of the Blue Planet...our future depends on it and so should mean wanting to ensure a viable future for subsequent generations. The W.O.N. Ocean passport:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Of course it’s all the same water, circulating around the globe – funnily enough there once WAS a 'World Ocean', named Panthalassa surrounding Pangaea… ,which was the rock and earth on the rock called Earth. See the eventual break-up in this animated image from USGS.

Greenpeace tell us that "fundamental changes need to be made in the way our oceans are managed. This means that we must act to make sure that human activities are sustainable, in other words that they meet human needs of current and future generations without causing harm to the environment. Accordingly, governments must set aside 40 percent of our oceans as marine reserves. Marine reserves can be defined as areas of the ocean in which the exploitation of all living resources is prevented, together with the exploitation of non-living resources such as sand and gravel and other minerals."...well, err... I agree with this too, although 40% seems fairly low.

Even the Spanish government seem to be on the right track and doing their bit, or at least in the Mediterranean.

The Ocean Channel, here, provides an interesting 'real-time' look at how the oceans are behaving, what they are doing.

[...Span's pervy sidetrack; I can see this becoming a regular feature. Needless to say, under the oceans' surface lies beauty, temptation and the unknown, the latter being called a Hula-Skirt Siphonophore; does that mean they suck?...]

S.O.

P.S. Thanks to Six for partly inspiring this post with his Freak Waves (23/05) and Four Boys (01/06) posts...oh, and to Jessica Alba in 'Into the Blue' although in this pic she seems to have lost "that" bikini...Ok, OK!..., I'd seen all the other films, that was the only reason I rented it!

25 comments:

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span,
Just because I do not always leave a comment does not mean that I have not read what you have posted. Its always interesting.

You really do put a lot of thought into what you post and probably by not posting daily it gives us the chance to digest what you have said and more people see it. As more posts are added and others
are archived perhaps they areless likely to be seen. And that would be a pity.

Span Ows said...

Thanks Gildy, no worries about not always commenting (doh!) but you're right - I could post several shot ditties of a few lines but the lower posts tend to get overlooked if you 'multipost'.

I thimk I probably put too much effort in, i like it to look nice but also tehre are dozens of links I would like to add - this ocean post especilly I had to whittle the links down to half a dozen - there is just so much info out there!...

Span Ows said...

P.S. Thanks for YOUR link! Well done - it's a bit scary but once you get used to the 'language' it becomes a lot easier.

P.P.S. I had just seen the DVD film with Jessica Alba just in case anyone thinks I made that up to add a picture of her (purrrrr)...it was better than I thought but still just about better than dross....but eye candy...hmmmmm

Crispin Heath said...

Very interesting Span.

Sorry to be spoddy, but can I just make a little adjustment to your water stats. You are right about your 97% stat, although more accurately it's 97.3% of the world's water in seas and oceans of the other 2.7% amazingly only 0.7% is landlocked and flowing the other 2% is actually ice.

Glad I partly inspired the post.

Gavin Corder said...

Blimey Span! Is this you? The stuff about formatting the comments? Or has blogger been messin'. I've been losing bloody comments on your blessed blog for the best part of an hour, so I guess they're messing...

And Six? Yesssssss! Spod or WHAT?!

Span Ows said...

Sorry Gav, have you ahd trouble posting? I don't know what you mean by formatting comments etc...:-(

Hey Spoddy! Good stats!!! Do you know the ice thing never even occured to me! Just immediately assumed 'other water'!...all those bloody links I looked at with all the oceans including the arctic...full of ICE!!! and Antartica covered IN ICE!!! doh!

Please feel free to be spoddy...

Linda Mason said...

Lovely post Span.

I would love to live next to the sea although I fear I would spend all day watching it for I find it fascinating. I'm not so keen on swimming in it though. I always get worried about where the fish are heading!

The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think that there was a problem this afternoon and if you tried to post comments they disappeared to who knows where, I could not post on my own blog...

Lucy said...

Orarian, what a lovely word. Yes I want to be one, again. I lived for a year about a mile from the sea and by walking to the top of the hill outside my house i could see it. A very happy year.
I love the sea photo too.

Span Ows said...

Trouble is I want to live by the sea AND have a mountain and forest (with lake and running stream) in the back...ah well...I can dream!

You're right Mags and Lucy, I think walking by the sea with the noise and the breeze is immensely enjoyable...but i do like to swim in it too...more off the sheltered bay/rocky bits...I'm not a 'beach person'

Gildy, you'll make Gavin feel better, I didn't know there had been a problem - it may be 'dwon time' that they have occasionally to add to/ adjust the system a bit

flyingfinn said...

The Scilly Isles are very rocky. I love the sea air. There's something about it which is refreshing.

Span Ows said...

Hi Finny - have you been away? You got a couple of mentions on the World Board as best poster...

By your Rocky comment do you mean from the slide show link or from your having visited them? I love the Scilly Isles, vERY peaceful anod not too touristy...well it wasn't not sure about nowadays...I'm talking about at least 25 years ago... :-/

Crispin Heath said...

Surely venezuala's no a bad option if you want forest and mountains behind you as well. Costa Rica could be an option.

flyingfinn said...

I haven't been away, Span. I just can't find any interesting threads on the boards. And there are too many trolls.

Span Ows said...

You're right there Finny, especially the UK board.

Six, you are of course quite right but I am VERY fussy and would like a 'western' combined deciduous/evergreen forest/wood and cool bubbling brook...but Ven would be a fairly reasonable 'other option'.

BTW...has anyone noticed my "back to top" link at the end of (every) post and in the footer...all my own work, took a few goes to get the font etc right...I am very proud.

Crispin Heath said...

Funnily enough yes I did notice. Well done big pat on the back.

Span Ows said...

...I read that in a sarcastic tone...was it? :-)

btw...NOW if you go to my blog and move the mouse over the R5L links (your name etc...you'll see another little addition I did today...the name of the blog comes up...

Linda Mason said...

span, re your last sentence above. May one ask....do you have a life?

Muchos kisses in order to deflect umpiness xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Span, 5 years ago, I noticed like you that my feet were getting swollen and I was feeling tired. It turns out I had high blood pressure.
So PLEASE go to the Doctors.
I really mean it.

Span Ows said...

I will curmy...and thanks. I will go THIS MONTH as in July I'm away all month (only Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, US and possibly South Africa...ahem...place name-dropping AGAIN!) and it looks like my Iran excursion may be postponed...will find out tomorrow...(or sunday morning at Frankfurt airport)...

Yes, I'm a dustman.

Span Ows said...

Mags...do you mean the last sentence of my post (Jessica Alba on DVD) or the end of my comment above yours (playing with html text to rearrange blog template etc)...weeeeellllll, fistly I have NO TV and haven't had for nearly 3 years now...and it is wonderful (but involves lots of cinema and DVD trips)...or the second you can blame Gavin...I am fascinated by all this blog website stuff and was even telling (not asking) the guy who is redesigning our website at work what needs to be done etc...he got a shock when in the meeting I accidently-on-purpose let slip a few choice php/hmtl/whatever references.

P.S. I am tinkering with 2 (TWO!!) other blogs (all secret as yet- well, ones a blog the others a website) , becasue I already want a more 'glossy' website feell...I may even have to start posting something topical! ;-)...

so...to answer your question my life is...errr...OK....but not what one would call a 'LIFE'...:-)

Anonymous said...

Span,by the time I went to the Docs, they'd discovered the high BP had strained my heart. I'm OK now, and on medication, but it's not worth the risk of leaving it any longer than this month.
Although you sometimes write pervy blogs, you're very funny, and we wouldn't want you falling off your perch !

Linda Mason said...

Span, my gorgeous hunky bit on the blog, I meant the last sentence above my post above re the links! I was being flippant. Of course you have a life and it sounds very interesting too. So don't mind this old mad old baggage.

When are we going to get a piccy of you btw (I need it for my fantasies) and when do we get a peek at the new blog, or is it by invitation only, which if it is, I want my invitation NOW or I'll scream and scream and scream and make myself, sick and I can!

Lucy said...

Life Span has, mucho, its sleep he lacks methinks (hugs)

Span Ows said...

Thank you Lucypucie, pudding and pie.

Clearly you noted what time I was posting last night!