Saturday, August 19, 2006

Overweening, odious offenders...

From today's Daily Telegraph: "Hunt saboteurs revealed in their true colours"
"It could have been a scene from a film set in a future in which law and order has broken down, and Britain is ravaged by marauding gangs."

How did this grotesque incident come about? The saboteurs had apparently been thwarted in their plan to disrupt a grouse shoot, so picked an easier target. But can these activists seriously expect that their campaign will lead to the banning of an activity in which about three million Britons take part?"

"Like the masked "animal rights" activists who terrorise scientists and their families, these thugs are sociopaths: not animal-lovers, but people-haters."...Well they may have bitten off more than they can chew this time because , unlike the class hatred that there undoubtably was with the ban on fox-hunting, this cuts across two 'untouchable' sections of society: Remember this...

Angling? It's too white and too middle-aged, say ministers as they go fishing for women and ethnic minorities.

"Angling does not discriminate against gender, race, age or athletic ability", and the "Government is interested in angling in the context of social inclusion in deprived urban areas".

Also, to confirm why the government are sure be taking this more seriously, from todays article:

The Government has no plans to ban this most unassuming and democratic of field sports, pursued by so many of its natural supporters: indeed, its social engineers are currently trying to thrust rods into the hands of women and ethnic minorities, spending the revenue from fishing licences on - among other things - teaching Muslim women to fish.

Lets see how quickly the police take a tougher line now.

S.O.

16 comments:

Span Ows said...

I've just seen this on the MB too! I promise I'm not getting my ides from there...to prove it...tomorrows post is on chocolate hmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Not in the least surprised, Span, people said this would happen.
My brother goes pheasant shooting sometimes, He's very careful now who he tells. (he eats the pheasant before the anti- hunters start)

Span Ows said...

I'm not surprised either. These jerks need a good horsewhipping.

Many of my friends are hunters, I'm not certain but I'd bet that every single one of them still hunts!

P.S. I've added a direct link to Iain's Dairy (blue square, left sidebar)...so now you can visit me to go to him :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Span, very kind of you.

Anonymous said...

Am behind (slightly) with the papers but caught up with this story an hour or so ago.

Of course they're people haters - they don't give a toss about the iccle foxes; iccle fishes or anything else.

Now - why don't they go and attack sea urchins?

Span Ows said...

Helloooo Srania! Welcome 'back'!!

It's bloody infuriating really - they need to bring back the stocks for this sort of person...and those sea urchins! Are you going to tell us about it? I hear they really like cheesy, sweaty feet...can't think why thet bit you really

(whistles innocently)

Gavin Corder said...

The French have the right idea! Vive la Chasse!

Gavin Corder said...

Iain's Dairy, eh? What that man doesn't know about purveying milk and cheese, is it?

Span Ows said...

Full cream is the best Gavin! (doh!)

Would a milk employee who had a hobby of making lace mats write a Daily Doily Dairy Diary? :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Span!

Re: Sea Urchins. Boring really. Was lazing around on a lilo in the sea (bit that belonged to the hotel - no beach just a decking area and vertical ladders into the water) when on my ascent I missed the bottom rung and stood on a rock instead. The pain! Fell back onto the lilo and saw about 12 spiky things sticking out of my left big toe - so pulled them out and thought nothing of it.

However, the pain got worse and my foot swelled up (swolled?) and got red. Anyway - to cut a long story short an English speaking Dr. came to the hotel next morning and told me I had several still imbedded; that they had caused an infection and gave me anti-biotics and cortisone cream. As I couldn't fit any sandals or flip-flops on I was moreorless confined to the hotel for the next three days (boring).

All much better now but there are about 6 of the splinter things still imbedded.

Recovered in time to visit Capri and buy myself a Gucci handbag.

Span Ows said...

Poor Sarnia! I wouldn't have imagined you getting so many pricks on one holiday! (wait till Mags reads that!)

Never mind...I find Gucci a bit showy...Prada darling, Prada. ;-)

Linda Mason said...

Span, Sarnia is used to that many pricks and could probably handle a whole lot more, she lives in a septic tank for goodness sake.

If you ask me she did it deliberately so that she could get an Italian doctor in her bedroom......

Anonymous said...

FROL Mags and Span!

Actually Mags the Dr. was female! I was (sort of) hoping for a nice looking male but in walked this extremely competent and very nice female one instead.

Span - agree with you about Prada - went into a shop in Positano and saw some there (with their original insigna when they used to supply the Italian royal family with their luggage) and thought they were very nice.

However, my Gucci bag is not in the slightest bit showy - I hate showy! I have the understated, classic Jackie O bag. So there.

Anonymous said...

P.S.

I do have Prada sunglasses though.

Span Ows said...

Ok...Jackie O bag...check

Prada glasses...check...

Just the Hermes headscarf and you're ready...:-)

Anonymous said...

Convertible...check

(Am morphing into Audrey Hepburn...)