Sunday, July 08, 2007

Yesterday they published the results of the online vote for the Seven New Wonders of the World. They were selected from an initial list of 21 nominations and the 'winners' are the following:
Great Wall of China

Great Wall of China, China
Petra, Jordan
Christ the Redeemer (statue), Brazil
Machu Picchu, Peru
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Colosseum, Italy
Taj Mahal, India

The Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt was awarded a place as an Honorary Candidate mainly (one presumes) because it the only remaining of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Seems to me those from well-populated countries would have a huge advantage over other countries (China, India, Mexico...) but I guess the fact that Peru, Jordan and Italy are also there - and ahead of the USA - means I'm mistaken. However nearly all of the above are 'semi-ancient' and so more modern wonders - another set completely apart from the list above, which would include bridges, dams, tunnels etc - should also be compiled, much like this one undertaken by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

There is a new site now open for nominations for the Seven Wonders of the Natural World and an overview of the categories are: Animal Reserve, Canyon, Fjord Cave, Grotto Coastline, Cliff, Forest, Wood, Geological site, Glacier, Mountain, Volcano, Rocks, Nature, Conservancy Park, Oasis , Deserts, Prehistoric natural site, Underwater World, Reef, Water, Sea, Lake, River, Waterfall and other; to me some of those seem a bit odd (Animal Reserve and Conservancy Park for instance) This will be difficult, there must be at least one in every single country. I'll give it some thought and let you know mine in due course :-)

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Whilst Stonhenge should be there, I am glad it is not. - The a303 would become impossibly crowded!

Your battle with the wum ed is becoming legendary, well done for taking him on so far. But I think his post 236 shows he is just mucking and trying to keep it going as long as possible as his accusations are more applicable to himself than anyone else!

Span Ows said...

Hellooooooooooooooooooooo Lucy! Hope you're well.

Re the 303 it has been horrendous the last couple of times I was on it (last time a couple of weeks back I was stopped or crawling along for nearly an hour and a half!)

Re Ed, ...I'm gald peopel are reading it! I thought it wa sjust me and the odd comment from Gavin and others. The whole thread is quite good with a few differnet opinions but consensus (except for 'crack' and Ed. I'm confused because in other posts I've seen of his he seemed 'normal' and in fact I think (but could be wrong) that I've agreed with him on some things...that's worrying!!! However on the thread in question he appears to know he's completely wrong but seems unable to 'let it go'...I've just replied again.

Anonymous said...

What battle? Is it a thread on UK News?

The 'wonders' are subjective really.

One 'wonder' is my living room. For the past week it has been tidy.

Mr. Sarnia had a blitz in there when I was in Brighton with daughter and tidied stuff; put books back in book shelf, even hoovered (not been done for weeks - possibly months).

The Amalfi Coast is another 'wonder'. Quite the most beautiful place in Europe (IMHO).

Grand Canyon also (shall be there in three weeks).

Span Ows said...

Hehehe...your living room Sarnia, clearly wonders will never cease
:-)

The 'battle' was the 'another seductively dressed victim (10 years old!) but I think it's over as Ed has now not even answered me (hehehehe) and has gone on about various different things, STD's etc...after telling me (wrongly) to keep to the matter in hand. Basically him and another crackpot were saying she should expect it for dressing provocatively. Anyway, I digress, it was a thread started by 'crack' and now has about 240 replies.