Saturday, December 06, 2008

Overweening officials...

Following on from my previous post today about certain "on-this-days" I note that in certain European countries and elsewhere it is also St. Nicholas Day - I knew this before but have just read something that made me want to post about it...bear with me...first though a comment that St. Nicholas is also patron saint of amongst other things nudists, the falsely accused, pawnbrokers, prostitutes and repentant thieves but he is mostly 'remembered' for giving to the poor, usually giving to the poor anonymously, a custom that continued after his death. He is also known as Santa Claus...and - still bearing with me I hope - about to take up the reins in the rotating presidency of the European Union will be Václav Klaus who is sure to cause a few ripples...much of which I am sure to agree with (see this Herald Tribune article for more details of why [IHT] ).

Anyway, what led me to post was the post on EU Referendum: Which one's the democrat? . Unbelievable...no, totally believable! Read it; it ends thus:

[President Vaclav Klaus] "I did not compare you with the Soviet Union, I did not mention the word[s] 'Soviet Union'. I only said that I have not experienced such an atmosphere, such style of debate in the past 19 years in the Czech Republic, really."

Bookmark and Share

No comments: