Saturday, March 07, 2009

Opposition options...

Well, not really, but it's going to get nasty. Clegg get's desperate: in fact Vince Cable has something similar too. Michael Savage reports in the Independent:

"Nick Clegg has launched an outspoken attack on life in Britain under Margaret Thatcher and blamed the former prime minister for sewing the seeds of the current economic crisis."

Sowing the seeds...indeed, imagine planting a sapling on open ground, watching it grow. After many years it is a tall tree and someone builds a house underneath it. When a bough breaks or a root bursts a foundation a few dimwits blame the person that planted the tree: such a dimwit is Clegg. He says "I remember very distinctly this sense that we were being told we should all place money above morality; put profit ahead of people; that we shouldn't worry about selling out. Because, at the end of the day, there was no such thing as society. But I looked around me and thought: no, there has to be more to life than this. There is more to us than this. Justice, fairness, community. We weren't ready to give in to that soulless, unforgiving Britain. That dog-eat-dog, get-rich-quick, look-after-number-one Britain. We didn't want to live in Thatcher's Britain. " Soundbite heaven; Clegg, I think you are a liar; I do not believe for an instant you remember this, distinctly or not.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Paul said...

I do like that first paragraph of yours, very lyrical, but by the end the poetry has gone! Funny enough I was thinking about Mrs T this morning when I was at Durdle Door, when I'm knackered I start to hallucinate! I'm not going to turn around and blame her for all our modern problems but it does say something strange about human nature that people still talk about invoking the Blitz or Dunkirk spirit, when few of us in the U.K were involved then, and yet we find it strange that the good and bad points of a politician who was PM during the last thirty years are still brought up on a daily/weekly basis.

Span Ows said...

hehehe, you must have written that post as I was editing...I was going to add Clegg's schooling to try to find out exactly WHEN he had this very distinct sense of blah, blah, blah.

Also, I suppose I should tell the Independent the difference between sew and sow.

Hallucinating...not at all...you looked up at one wondrous, natural, famous and stunning part of England and you thought of another: yes, I am Mark Thatcher :-)

Paul said...

That last paragraph made me laugh out loud - Mark Thatcher wouldn't have stopped at the car park, his navigational skills would have taken him over the edge into the sea.