Apologies for posting this on Armistice Day but slimy snake Mandy Lying Hypocrite Mandelson is being tipped as the sinister sounding Information Minister: the business secretary could hold weekly televised news conferences to explain government business... [The Guardian]
Here are some tips from someone I think is not too dissimilar:
1. Propagandist must have access to intelligence concerning events and public opinion.
2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.
4. Propaganda must affect the enemy's policy and action.
6. To be perceived, propaganda must evoke the interest of an audience and must be transmitted through an attention-getting communications medium.
7. Credibility alone must determine whether propaganda output should be true or false.
9. Credibility, intelligence, and the possible effects of communicating determine whether propaganda materials should be censored.
11. Black rather than white propaganda may be employed when the latter is less credible or produces undesirable effects.
12. Propaganda may be facilitated by leaders with prestige.
13. Propaganda must be carefully timed.
14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.
a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses
b. They must be capable of being easily learned
c. They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations
d. They must be boomerang-proof
And so on...Based upon Goebbels' Principles of Propaganda by Leonard W. Doob.
Update: Just reading some of the comments on that Guardian link (Andrew Sparrow exclusive) Just hilarious; clearly none too popular is our Mandy.