Saturday, December 28, 2013

Octahedral obeisance


Uplifting quotes ("Invest in the human soul. Who knows, it might be a diamond in the rough"), famous lyrics ("I'll buy you a diamond ring, my friend If it makes you feel alright"), marketing slogans ("Diamonds are Forever") all with one thing in common. There's even the London slang: "he's a diamond geezer"; except now it's not just geezers: now anyone can be a diamond, no, literally! Hat-tip: James Halling at The Commentator. I am assuming turning dead loved-ones into Remembrance diamonds isn't 'the done thing' or maybe even illegal in the UK as it isn't even listed in Algordanza's website. Or maybe the idea's been put on ice.

(The crystal habit of a diamond is octahedral)

2 comments:

Paul said...

Fantastic. I remember this idea from a Sci-Fi story and it is one of those things (as alluded to in one of your links) that you think is too strange to be true.

Thing is given that so many people can act as 'aerials' it shows that we are just walking 'carbon units' (as one of my old friends used to call us on a bad day).

Wonder what the Italian guy is going to do now with his son?

Span Ows said...

Yes, I though it was great too! I love the carbon unit thing and will be using it later today!