Monday, May 12, 2014

Overdue obeisance...


Today is International Nurses Day (IND); OK, forgive the image, I decided on a 'cartoon' one and if you think I spent many hours viewing images of sexy nurses to get the right one I am offended and I'll have you know that you'll only be 95% right. I shouldn't be flippant, IND is celebrated around the world every May 12 [the anniversary of Florence Nightingale's birth].

This year's theme is Nurses: A Force for Change – A vital resource for health.  The kit (no!) is HERE (pdf) and although it is very sector-specific I found it interesting.  An educated nurse workforce + a good work environment = high quality care.  "This simple, evidence based, equation whether applied at a global or a local level in the health system is fundamental to understanding how to make the best of the vital resource which is nursing."

Some stories here; my very best wishes to all our hardworking and oft maligned nurses; and I can only apologise for only realising that 'today was the day' half an hour ago :-(

No comments: