Sunday, May 14, 2006

Only one ounce...

An ounce (of truth, of intelligence, of….) is one of the UK’s traditional units of weight. The word ounce is from the Latin uncia, meaning a 1/12 part, because the Roman pound was divided into 12 ounces. The Old English word ynce, "inch," meaning 1/12 foot, has the same root.

The symbol oz is from the Old Italian word onza (now spelled oncia) for an ounce. Having 'gone metric' they of course no longer use the oncia but it traditionally it equaled 1/12 libra. Oncia, onza, onça and once are the traditional names for the ounce unit in Romance languages: the Portuguese onça and Spanish onza equal 1/16 libra; the French once equals 1/16 livre)…it may all sound the same but this latter was actually about 2 grams (OK, it's metric!) heavier than the onza/ onça and 3 grams heavier than the oncia! I’m not even going to try to explain all the differences but the Dictionary of Units of Measurement,
here (on the site by Russ Rowlett, the Director of the Center for Mathematics and Science Education at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) would be very useful if you wanted to dig further.

In actual fact it was the ‘grain’ that was the original unit of weight: the grain was the legal foundation of traditional English weight systems, with various pounds (and hence ounces) being defined as a specified number of grains. Originally the grain was defined in England as the weight of a barleycorn. This made the English grain larger than the corresponding grain units of France and other nations of the Continent (bigger and better? We’ve always known that…) because those units were based on the weight of the smaller wheat grain.

Anyway, back to the ounce: the 'normal' ounce is called the
avoirdupois ounce; avoirdupois weights were the common system of weights in all the English-speaking countries. Until quite recently, almost all weights were stated in avoirdupois units, with only precious metals and pharmaceuticals being measured by troy weights (see below). The name of the system comes from the Old French phrase avoir du pois or aveir de pois, "goods of weight," indicating simply that the goods were being sold by weight rather than by volume or per article. The avoirdupois system was introduced in England around 1300, replacing an older commercial system based on a "mercantile pound" (libra mercatoria) It is thought that the avoirdupois pound was originally devised by wool merchants taking as their base the pound of 16 ounces used in Florence, Italy, which at the time was an important buyer of English wool. The avoirdupois weights quickly became the standard weights of trade and commerce.

Then there’s a 2nd traditional unit of mass or weight: the troy ounce, an older English weight system, believed to have been in use since long before the Norman conquest of 1066. The system is believed to be named for the French market town of Troyes, where English merchants traded at least as early as the time of Charlemagne. It is used today only in pharmacy,
gold and other precious metals, and jewellery – here you can be led off to pennyweights, drams, scruples etc; in particular, the prices of gold and silver quoted in financial markets are the prices per troy ounce. You think that’s it?...they're all here in Russ' labyrinthine dictionary.

There’s the fluid ounce (unit of liquid volume), an ounce force (a unit of force, equal to the force experienced at the earth's surface by a mass of one ounce), ounce mole (oz mol) a unit of amount of substance (molecular and atomic weights), ounce per gallon (oz/gal) a unit of mass concentration, ounce per square foot (oz/ft2) a traditional unit of density (still used widely in the U.S. for stating the density of coatings and many other applications) and the ounce weight (sounds like the normal ounce but this one is a unit for measuring the density -incorrectly called the "weight".

My favourites, and as yet unmentioned, however, are the ounces that in medieval times were used sometimes as a unit of distance equal to 1/12 yard or 3 inches, or used for a unit of time (TIME!!) equal to 1/12
moment, (this is great stuff! A moment is a medieval unit of time equal to 1/40 hour or 1.5 minutes. The moment was divided into 12 ounces of 7.5 seconds each. Also worth a mention here for another O, the ostent, a medieval name for the time unit now called the minute (just to confuse you -in medieval times a minute was actually equal to 1/10 hour, or 6 modern minutes); the ostent was equal to 8 ounces or 1 modern minute.

Continuing this digression, Gavin Corder has commented on the Ox-man and his goad (a pole in length) but there is also the Oxgang. This was an old English unit of land area equal roughly to 15 acres (6 hectares), or to 1/8 hide; you see how easy it is to become immersed in all this…a hide, very old English unit of land area, was considered the area a farmer could plough with a team of 8 oxen, so an oxgang was the area he could plough with a single ox (of course two oxen could be a span...and a span of an arc/ bridge...OK I'll shut up.) ; dating from perhaps the seventh century, the hide was the amount of land that could be cultivated by a single ploughman and thus the amount of land necessary to support a family. Depending on the type of land/conditions/hills etc this could be as little as 60 acres or as much as 180 acres; the hide was more or less standardized as 120 acres after the Norman conquest of 1066.

S.O.


Just in case you were thinking that this is an out of character post (intelligent, researched, not childish at all...) I add the pussy in this link...
:-)

31 comments:

Lucy said...

Good post Span ;)

flyingfinn said...

Thank God for the metric system, I say.

Span Ows said...

Thank you Lucy; which bit do you like most?...:-)

hello Finny, now, do you mean that (Thank God) literally or just as a figure of speech? Looking at your photo it occurs to me that there's a good film role for you but it's been taken by Paul Bettany - due for release this week (19th) The image on Gavin's 10/05 post should give you a clue if you don't know what film I mean...;-)

flyingfinn said...

You mean the Da Vinci Code? I don't know the role you're talking about though, as I haven't read the book. I don't know that I want to.

Thank God, literally. It's a God send to have an easy measurement system I can understand. Mathematics have never been my strong point, you see.

Span Ows said...

It's wasn't one of my favourites either but nowadays I'm very good with figures (Steady!!)...doing loads of crosswords, mindgames and soduko etc help...stop the rot that effects our brains.

That's teh film and the character I meant is Silas, he's a very devout monk, prepared to kill to preserve 'the way' and led in his wicked ventures by senior figures in the Holy Church of Rome...the stern gaze of yours and the dark 'monks cowl' are what made me suggest it....although Silas is an albino...well, you live in Finland so a tan wouldn't be expected! :-)

Linda Mason said...

Yes but how many beans make five?

Span Ows said...

Hehehehe

Hello Mags! where have you been?

Re your question: as many beans as possible...I love 'em all...and probably would list tins of baked beans as one of the foods I miss most...along with real ale, decent sausgaes, Branston pickle, decent bacon, curries...you get the picture...

Gavin Corder said...

Oh who's been cutting and pasting then? Come on Span, how do you spell 'plough' in English English as opposed to American English (which isn't really English at all)? ;-)

The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can get away with decimal currency(I'd still like to know where the other 140 old pennies disappeared from my £1)and for some time it gave retailers the chance to put prices up.

I am afraid that although I can manage feet and inches that's about it.

All I do is go in a supermarket and see what I want or pick enough of something and not think about what it weighs. So though I prefer probably the older imperial measurements for most things, I rarely think of any type of measurement metric or otherwise.

Mags that brought back memories "How many beans make five?" :-)

And there's a whole new train of thought if we get into what we like/dislike or miss in the way of food etc...

That kind of post can run and run...remember all the memories on that off topic thread on R5...

Another excellent topic.

Linda Mason said...

Well seeing as even Gildy has forgotten how many beans make five, I will educate you!

Two beans on a bean
A bean and half
And half a bean

Sorry I have been ignoring you Span, following your smut massacre on my blog. Maybe I got the hump. No, actually I didn't. I was just feeling a little blue and introspective and very bad tempered. Best left alone when I get rottweiller like!

Span Ows said...

I don't know what you mean Gavin: it is quite clearly written plough!

(ahem)...hehehe....just edited, it is clear that it all comes from that Russ guy's site: I name him and there's at least 3 links to it...what is surprising is that if you hadn't of said anything I wouldn't have noticed! Doh! Been away too long...last year had some friends visit and their eldest daughter is very good at everything(no,no!) including spelling - we ahd a contest which was a tie until they started on American English...I spelt aeroplane 'airplane'...oh the shame! As now, I didn't even realise!

Gildy, everyone says metircs better because it's so easy ...they don't realise any system is easy once you know it.

If the metric system wasn't invented yet and someone said 'let's do a system based on 10, not twelve' everyone would think he was nuts!

I remember that thread - also a 'sense of humour' one, on a Friday afternoon - had me in stitches!

flyingfinn said...

Span,

There aren't many things I miss from England, but English food I miss soooo much. Sausages, proper pies (mainly steak and kidney), salt and vinegar crisps, fish and chips etc.

Span Ows said...

Mags - share your woes - as we've been seeing, we can help each other by spilling the beans - that bean thingy, never heard it! Hang on a minute! Your reply is above mine ??? ah...the times again, Mags we keep coming together!...this rottweiller thing...grrr...;-)

Finny, I can get the S&V crisps and a'in 'proper' light-blue packets, not those silly Walker people trying to change the world with their Cheese and Onion coloured S&V packets...pah! PIES! Yes that's definitely on the list - most countries do a similar thing of pastry-wrapped meat or veg or cheese but a good pie is hard to find.

Linda Mason said...

Span, I'll keep my woes here indoors thanks you! Nothing to get worked up about, just a little introspective time required!

You have never heard of the bean thingy??? My what a sheltered life you have led Span;-)

Gavin Corder said...

They can be a bit windy...



beans I mean.....

Linda Mason said...

Yes gavin, beanz meanz fartz, we know :-)

flyingfinn said...

LOL, regarding the colour of S&V crisp packets.

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Salt and Vinegar crisps...hmmm, a favorite of mine but I guess I really should not eat them having kidney trouble but an odd treat here and there whilst you can...

After all life would be awfully boring otherwise...

They don't seem right in a green packet, blue just seems the way it should be.

When you think of all the flavours that are available now...and makes that are not around. When I was a child the popular make was Tudor which I believe were based in Peterlee, not sure if they were taken over or went out of business but their factory I think was then taken over by Golden Wonder who are now out of business too.

Weird flaours? I kid you not for quite some time Tudor made Kipper Flavour and amazingly it wasn't bad.

Perhaps that's why they went out of business :-)

Don't know if anyone wants to attempt to fix my blogs layout. I found the codse to add links to your sites but in trying it I probably put it in the wrong place...it did not work and now my blog entries are half way down the page and the titles of previous postings are at the top instead of down the left hand side.

Isn't technology wonderful?

Cheers

Anthony

Span Ows said...

A good fart is a pleasant experience - maybe my enjoyment of beans/pulses etc has something to with that satisfaction.

Mags, no worries re your woes - do as you think best but we would help if we could.

I'm glad Finn and Gildy agree re the S&V crisp apckets - I've never forgiven Walkers - bloody marketing people no doubt! Oh, hello Gavin and Six...

Gildy...Gavin could probably explain it better...but...go to my blog 'front page and right click...there willl be a list of options and go to "view source"...this willl show you mt template...scroll down for about 11cm (???) in full screen mode and you will see the bit that syas "sidebar content" and you can view the links etc and how they should be...just note where it is then go to your own blog, go to the 'inside bit' where you can make adjustments or add a new post, click on the template tab and check your template, if you have done something wrong it's probably better to delete the links you put in before and get it "back to normal" before you make any more changes...

Span Ows said...

Hello Gold nugget, I presume you've followed the links on my post and have seen those other two prospectors (the ones in Arizona etc) If i dig up anything (sorry!) I'll be happy to post it to your site.

Linda Mason said...

Span, re a comment on Gildy's blog; are a Bristolian? Mr Mags is a Bristolian. Can't stand the place meself but then I wasn't born there!

Span Ows said...

Hi Mags, no I'm a born and bred Londoner but my big bro moved to Bristol for Uni etc when I was a wee teenager and I used to visit a lot - Bristol is one of those places that has 15% really nice, pretty, well looked after, historical, cool even, and the rest is crap...Mr. Mags will know exactly what I mean; I do like it though and lived there for a couple of years before moving south.

Linda Mason said...

Oh well, that's another illusion shattered! I imagined you talking to me with that delightful accent because Mr Mags, doesn't have the accent. Good job really! Shame, I was looking forward to lots of inbreeding, carrot crunching, cider drinking jokes. I'll stick with the soft southerner cockney type jokes instead!

I would put the figure at about 10% nice. It's lovely on the downs and in Clifton but most of the city (as in where people live rather than where people shop and work) is pretty run down. I find it nearly as depressing as Glasgow.

Span Ows said...

ow ruight moy luuuuv?

Is that what you wanted?...not me Mags! I'm living in fear of my littl'uns picking up that accent!

But yes, Clifton, Redland, Cotham....the rest is shite! If you inlude the Downs / Badminton School, Sneyd park etc then they're the nice bits...

Glasgow I don't know but my mum seems to think it quite nice...Ok,...you kno wthe bits she's seen!

Linda Mason said...

I could never figure out what it was about Glasgow that made me so depressed. It has a fair amount of parks and lays claim to be the greenest city or something in the UK.

I had had to stay in London for a while and then one beautiful Friday lunchtime I took off from Heathrow, 28C sunny etc and landed in Glasgow, about -28C cloudy and dull, about an hour later and it struck me exactly what it was that made me so depressed there! No it wasn't the weather it was the lack of trees!

If you walk around anywhere in Glasgow apart from the parks, there are no trees lining the streets. It's amazing the difference they make to my mood and to the 'look' and 'feel' of a city.

I actually had quite a good time up there, it was walking the streets, I mean around the streets, that made me depressed.

Kayfer Kettle said...

I know what an ounce costs!

K x

Lucy said...

Where in the world are you now Span?

Span Ows said...

I'm in Dubai Lucy, thought I'd come and say thanks for the great Emirates stadium that will be used in July for Denis' testimonial...very imprressive it looks too - also I had a meeting with Harry Potter this morning.

Hello Katie! How are you? I bet you know how much an ounce is but thought you dealt more in horse these days...or crack...the whip
;-)

Span Ows said...

Sorry just read that back and wish to clarify that I'm in Dubai but teh Emirates Stadium is in London ('New Highbury') and Harry Potter isn't a child magician....and Katie...just say no...;-)

Lucy said...

Harry Poter not a child magician!
Poor man is his life blighted or blessed?

Span Ows said...

Makes you feel for the guy doesn't it! He has two kiddiewinks too, I bet they love it!

My Dad's Harry Potter!