Monday, August 07, 2006

Overcrowding or overreacting...

Green and Pleasant
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

Of course that wasn't meant to be taken literally but the UK government seem intent on building several Jerusalems in their haste to "Concrete over England 'The Government's plan to bribe councils into concreting over what remains of the prettier parts of England is of a piece with its partisan rule since 1997." So says the DT editorial for today's news.

No environmental conditions are placed on the scheme, which the Campaign to Protect Rural England described as "a bribe". It feared that it could introduce "a scary new temptation to corruption in local government and planning".

Henry Oliver of the Campaign to Protect Rural England said: "This idea seems to be a return to 'predict and provide', with a bribe attached - in the linked article with reference to Shrewsbury and the West Midlands - it's not just a problem for the South east of England.
More worryingly the article goes on to say "Government figures show that five million new homes are needed in England over 20 years, 1.5 million of them because of record levels of immigration."...record levels of immigration....more on that later.

All this is nothing new, for years the press have reported variations on the theme, this is just one example from the Guardian and there are small victories that give some communities hope:

"Councils are supposed to be the guardians of the countryside but I suspect what has happened in Dolton is a microcosm of what is happening elsewhere in rural communities,"..."If councils fail to follow their policies and procedures properly, they not only spoil our precious countryside but, in this case, they would also not have achieved affordable housing for local people."
...and I guess it's no surprise that Porker Prescott has been wasting more money "And the scandal has provoked Conservatives to demand that ministers should now also call a halt to Mr Prescott's environmentally unsustainable plans to build thousands of new homes in the crowded south-east of England, and demolish Victorian terraces in the north."
All political parties talk a good game but never deliver, I find myself agreeing with the Lib Dem's (shock-horror!) outline from their last manifesto:
"Liberal Democrats believe decent housing should be a right. We want to meet people’s aspirations to own their home whilst providing more affordable and social homes to rent. In our towns and cities, we aim to increase the number of affordable homes, cut the damage to the environment by energy inefficient homes and push down power over community issues to local residents. People also want more than bricks and mortar from their home. They want to live in safe, clean and friendly communities. So Liberal Democrats will give local people more say in running their neighbourhoods and put the environment at the heart of housing policy. "
Back now to the immigration side of things: Government figures show that five million new homes are needed in England over 20 years, 1.5 million of them because of record levels of immigration....I believe two things: 5 million is too many and more than 1.5 million will be due to immigration - Gov statistics show us that the UK has a growing population. It grew by 280,600 people in the year to mid-2004, and the average growth per year has been 0.4 per cent since mid-2001....amusingly the graph is a Janus, two-faced! Also, this from the UK Government Actuary department:
In the principal projection, the population of the UK is projected to grow by 7.2 million between 2004 and 2031. Some 4.1 million of this increase is directly due to the assumed number of net migrants. Natural change accounts for a further 3.1 million (the difference between 19.2 million births and 16.1 million deaths). Some 1.2 million of this natural increase would occur in the absence of migration. The remaining 1.9 million is the net effect of the assumed annual level of net migration on natural change (almost entirely the effect on births, slightly offset by a small increase in deaths).
Or in the words of Migration Watch. "The UK’s population is projected to rise by 7.2 million from 2004 to 2031 – 6.0 million (83%) of this rise is due to immigration" and "Net inward foreign migration has more than tripled since 1997 to 340,000 in 2004. Significant components - work-related migration and family settlement - are likely to continue at present levels or increase. Indeed, under present policies, they will continue at high levels indefinitely. Illegal immigration is additional."...so, 83% of the population growth will be as net immigration and the subsequent organic growth in immigrant populations...NOW, that to me suggests that nearly all of the proposed building, be it in the south-east or elsewhere, is to cater for the new (and set to continue) record-shattering immigration.
It's not this bad yet, I think the CPRE report -"Your Countryside, Your Choice" - that began with a their portrait of what could be England in 2035, "when the countryside has all but disappeared"...not yet, the photo above is one of several thousand beautiful views across England (this one isn't far from where my family live); when I fly home be it to Heathrow, Bristol or Bournemouth airports you can see the countryside as it really is - but how long will it last, how long will England be a green and pleasant land?
S.O.

11 comments:

Lucy said...

Glastonbury Tor? God i love that place.
I too felt like crying in my tea this morning when I saw this story. I resolve to buy as much land as possible but as I'm not very rich it wont be much.
:(

Anonymous said...

God, it makes me sick. I can't listen to the news anymore, articles like this are just so depressing.
When are we going to realise we just can't go on like this much longer?

Span Ows said...

Hello you two, sorry to depress you; I was looking for a 'decent' post to baptise my membership of the Witanagemot Club...my dad was in the St. Georges club many moons ago and some of my family have a much more nationalist history (don't bother asking because I won't tell!)...but all this IS very depressing. My last few lines were to make it apparent that I KNOW it's not all being built on (green patchwork from aeroplane is always a comfort when i go back to the Uk...but the figures/ new houses/ immigration etc are all there - in black and white - and I've only taken a snippet and few minutes browse, God knows what one would discover really digging for dirt!

Span Ows said...

P.S. A comment on my flashy "blockquote" would be appreciated...Gildy?...

Crispin Heath said...

Interestingly on the subject of building in the countryside Span Charles Moore a rabid country man wrote the following just a month ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/07/01/do0102.xml

The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
Another superb idea to consider regarding blog enteries...and a very interesting piece.

I have only been to Sommerset once and I'd love to spend more time in that area. Beautiful. I can understand the feelings raised.

I stayed in Minehead but found myself staying in Butlins of all places but I wish that I had explored the area more and traveled on some of local bus rides.

As it was I used to go and sit on a seat around the back of the bay...behind me lots of picturesque houses dotted amongst the hills and in front of me only the sea. I spent hours sitting on that seat looking out to sea every day. So calm and peaceful.

Jerusalem, that has some magic about it and alsways does something when I hear it.

Mum remembers being a little girl and being picked with ten others from her school(and a similar number were picked from other schools)and they sang a selection of songs in the Town Hall in Bishop Auckland. Too long ago to remember why.

But she remembers every word and what she wore...so much time has passed by.

I'm away to read your entry more carefully.

G

PS You'll have seen that I have lost my counter...I thought it had a couple more days to run...I'll sign up but I guess if I am starting from scratch there is no hurry. :-(

At least I have my free map...

Span Ows said...

Gildy, no worries about the counter - it will soon build up again if you get it permanently.

I once went to Warners (similar to Butlins at the time - don't think it exists now) in Great Yarmouth with some mates...oh did we have fun :-)

Six, interesting piece and a good article, I do like Charles Moore and in fact was in the UK on 1st July when he published that...and I bought the Telegraph...:-/....do you think it was absorbed into my mind because I don't remember reading it didn't write about it?... ah well, no this occasion I disagree with CM: He says "A community ceases to be healthy if few can find work there, or afford to live or bring up a family there. Yet this is the inevitable result of people such as the CPRE insisting on "protecting" rural areas. The protection means that, if you already own your house, you become richer, and if you don't, you can't get started." (that's true in cities/towns too)..."The consequence is that villages are increasingly inhabited by the rich and the old. Both contribute greatly to their neighbourhoods, and villages can be very suitable places for the retired - so long as they can still drive a car"...now that's true but the ONLY people who want to run the villge shop/pub/post office are the rich or the old (slight generalisation)...and the work has changed too much i.e. 100 years ago it would have taken at least 20 men to run a few hundred acres and 20 children to help with the harvest - these days it takes no one except the farmer and maybe one other - that is the single biggest reason that rural areas need protecting despite 'no work'. If it takes the richer/older (fair point re needing a car - my mum moved OUT of a nice village because she's never driven and they kept reducing bus and train schedules - no wonder the village youth are often yobs...they can't get out!) people to maintain the rurality and aesthetic beauty then so be it.

...aren't you in Devon?...ask around :-)

The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm hijacking the post again...the problems over getting images on that blog entry a week or two ago may not have been all my fault, I found some information on the status page suggesting that around that time images were refusing to upload and/or timing out...

So we'll see if all goes well next time that I try to add some picture...

G

Alicia Campos said...

Hola! Gracias por visitar mi blog y sobre todo por comentar. Tienes un punto de vista muy interesante. Saludos

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting about the new housing and immigrants - it is strange that somebody (English press) hasn't made more fuss about it.

Do you know your name is S.Ows ha-ha

Span Ows said...

Oh haha de-har-de-ha...is that you Gavin?...or is it Mr. Replica Watch/ Mr fat reducing pills etc. Wanker.

Gildy, that happens quite often; also they have down time but they norammly tell you about that with a warning on your 'homepage' or when you post etc.

Alicia, HELLO and welcome, glad you could pop in. I get very annoyed with 'machismo' so even though I'm a bloke I can sort of understand your crusade against mysoginists.