Sunday, June 10, 2007

Outstanding ospreys...

England's Lake District Osprey Project has enabled over a quarter of a million people to view the ospreys and is estimated to bring over £1 million into the local economy every year
Outstanding Osprey
Click on image to read the good news. Recent changes to the law have introduced custodial sentences for crimes against wildlife; egg-theft has been substantially reduced; I say DEATH to egg thieves!
The Lake District Osprey Project is a partnership of Forestry Commission England and the RSPB, and is supported by the Lake District National Park Authority.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Egg thieves don't like birds they are just collectors in the same way some people collect footie programmes, albums by Genesis or ants.

There's an ambivalence towards nature in this country that is slowly being corrected - people still can't get their heads round the idea that once something is extinct it's gone for good - it's not like a soap where the actor can reappear in Holby City.

We have kestrels near the office, watching them hover on the thermals above the nearvy dual carriageway is amazing, and dangerous when you are doing 70 m.p.h! Death to speeding bird watchers!

Gavin Corder said...

But what would you want an egg for? I mean really! If not to eat it, it is th most bizarre sort of stalking behaviour, isn't it?

Now I don't particularly like flappy scratchy beasts (cuddly and huggable is more my style) but that doesn't mean I want to exterminate them.

Clarkson in the Sunday Times today (well yesterday now I suppose) was a bit harsh I thought about extinctions in the wild...

Span Ows said...

I love birds...and I'm not joking AND I do mean the feathered kind; I can sit and watch them for hours, I also hate birds being caged no matter how well they're loved by the owners (gaolers/torturers)

P.S. Gavin...hellloooooooo...I'll go and check on that Clarkson article at some time, not now as I'm knackered and off to bed...alone...(in Costa Rica...in a nice hotel...in a suite....veeerry nice)