Saturday, March 26, 2022

Osaka: one of Old One's offspring?...


The official Expo 2025 Osaka Kansai character design was released this week: based on the winning logo design by Group E, Team Inari (back in 2020) 

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn writes Daniel Hannan, alluding to the resemblance to one of H. P. Lovecraft's fictional deities (the Great 'Old Ones') Cthulhu

I see what he means. Right up there with our own Laughable London Logo Low: remember our Olympic Obscentity, at the time I wrote the following: "Truly, mind-bogglingly, disasterous and above all embarrassing; complete and utter crap...really; I honestly hope it's another hoax." [sic] 

[edit 26/03: just to be clear, the current Osaka one (the red bit is the actual logo) is nothing like as bad as the 2012 London Olympics obscenity (Lisa Simpson giving a blow job/Iran saying it spelt Zion) I linked back to]. In fact it is growing on me...no, not like some Clathus ruber but in a nice way.

Update: 0150 hrs: "I'm reminded of the 'Vote Cthulhu – Why Vote For The LESSER Evil?' meme that goes round at election time" comments Zerren Yeoville posting on Samizdata.

No comments: